Thursday, March 1, 2018

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James: A Review

When I first rated this book, I gave it four stars.  After thinking about the book a bit, I think it deserves five.  This was the perfect ghost story.

Fiona can't get over her sister's murder.  Deb's killer is behind bars but Fiona just can't accept that the story is exactly how the police say it was.  Four girls have been dumped at the depressing Idlewild boarding school for various reasons.  They are haunted by a ghost named Mary Hand who haunts the school.  Some say that she was a student that was locked out of the school and is still begging to get in.  Others say that her baby is buried in the garden.  Either way, Mary digs into each persons unique past and shows those she haunts what can scare them most.

I was surprised that this book was this scary!  Mary Hand is the perfect ghost.  She is so creepy and gets at the heart of what will scare both the characters and the reader.  This book also functioned as a historical fiction, of sorts, with some of the story being dedicated to the history of the Ravensbruck concentration camp and the atrocities there.

I loved this book!  From the characters to the storyline, I was kept in suspense until the very last moment.  I was fascinated by the historical accounts of Ravensbruck and I was saddened by the way that the girls were thrown away so easily but the ghost story is really what kept me turning the pages well into the night.  I can't say enough good things about this book and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great horror story.

My rating:
★★★★★

More reviews of books like this one:
The Chalk Man by C.J. Tutor
Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson


This book will be available on March 20, 2018 and can be pre-ordered from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.  

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...