Monday, November 6, 2017

Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything by Lydia Kang and Nate Pedersen: A Review

Not all quacks are snake oil salesmen.  Of course, some of them are and in Quackery you will learn about them.  Some quacks are not out to make a quick buck but legitimately believe in their own ineffective or harmful treatments.  Lydia Kang, a physician, and Nate Pedersen, a journalist, will fascinate you with stories of how doctors used to use substances like cocaine, opium and tobacco to cure disease and did not recognize the dangers associated with them. Tapeworms were used as a diet aid and people thought radiation would cure just about anything that ails. 

I really enjoyed this book and the only fault that I could find with it was that it did not include any current forms of quackery.  Especially with the Internet, misinformation and improper treatments for disease are rampant.  Patients still turn to ineffective treatments and promote them with religious zeal today.

Other than not including current quackery, I really enjoyed learning about all of the unnecessary treatments that desperate patients used to put themselves through.  The information was fascinating and the images really enhanced the stories that went along with them.  I recommend this book to anyone that is interested in interesting medical treatments and history.  The book is written in such a way that most readers will be interested in having a look at this one.

Watch an interview with one of the authors here:



Reviews of books like this one:
Best Intentions by Erika Raskin
Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
The Happiness Effect by Donna Freitas

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...