Thursday, January 26, 2017

Everything You Want Me To Be by Mindy Mejia: A Review

                          http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781501123429/everything-you-want-me-to-be-9781501123429_hr.jpg

Everything You Want Me To Be by Mindy Mejia is a murder mystery novel about Hattie, a senior in high school who is a little bit bigger than the small Minnesota town than she is living in.  Hattie acts in her high school's production of Macbeth and in her everyday life.  She desperately wants to move to New York so that her real life will begin but Hattie is murdered shortly before her graduation and her chance to do so is thwarted.  Del, the local sheriff, is best friends with Hattie's father and vows to find out who killed her.

This book led me on a crazy ride!  The characters are so interesting, especially the character of Hattie.  She is a chameleon that alters her behavior to suit her audience at any given time.  The character of Peter mirrors the Macbeth play that he directs as he grapples with his own morality and allows understanding of right and wrong.  The story winds itself in so many directions and even when you think you are done with this novel and have learned the end of the story, there are even more twists and turns around the corner.  Parts of the story are a teeny bit predictable but the majority of the story is not predictable, at all.  This was a very fast reading novel for me (I read the last 310 pages in one day, broken down into two sittings) and I really enjoyed it.  I will definitely be looking forward to reading Mejia's other novels in the future.  I think readers who enjoy books written by Mary Kubica and Paula Hawkins will enjoy this novel. 

This book was released on January 3rd and can be purchased at booksellers such as Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Read other reader's accounts of this book on Goodreads.

I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...