Thursday, June 29, 2017

Coversations with Friends by Sally Rooney: A Review

Frances and Bobbi used to date and are now best friends who perform poetry together.  When they meet a writer, Melissa, and her actor husband, Nick, the four quickly form a tight friendship.  Frances soon falls in love with Nick and begins an affair with him.

I really didn't find this book too interesting.   It was actually boring for most of the book.  The only interesting part that I found, Frances' health scare, ended very anticlimactically.  The whole book was actually very anticlimactic.  The characters were all equally unlikable.  All of them were selfish, pretentious and uninteresting.  None of the characters had a unique voice or personality.  While the writing was very fluid, I just couldn't enjoy myself while reading this book because the story and the characters were so flat.

Sally Rooney, Lucy Caldwell, Peggy Hughes and Sara Baume discuss new Irish literature in this video:


My rating:
★☆☆☆☆    

Reviews of books like this one:
The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor
Sweet Bitter by Stephanie Danler
All Grown Up by Jamie Attenberg

This book is expected to be released July 11, 2017 and can be pre-ordered from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from Penguin's First to Read program.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...