Friday, June 9, 2017

The Windfall by Diksha Basu: A Review

Windfall is a classic story of keeping up with the Joneses.  The Jha's are hardworking parents to Rupak, living in a working class neighborhood in Delhi, when Mr. Jha creates and sells a website for millions of dollars.  The unexpected windfall it creates leads to the couple moving to a more upscale neighborhood and Mr. Jha struggles to show off his wealth.  All of the mothers from the old neighborhood vie for Mrs. Jha's time so that they can show off their eligible daughters, in hopes that Rupak will marry one of them.  Mrs. Ray, a widowed friend of Mrs. Jha, also has a life-changing experience from the windfall when she meets an eligible bachelor in the Jha's new neighborhood.

This was a very light, fun read.  It had a bit of comedy, a bit of romance and a bit of culture.  It also contained an important lesson on jealousy and being satisfied with what one has in life.  Mr. Jha spends so much time trying to impress Mr. Chopra that it is hard to imagine that he has any time to enjoy himself and his new life.  He is also very insensitive to his wife's discomfort with their newfound wealth.  The characters were very likeable and interesting, though.  I really enjoyed the story and it was a fun book to read.  I would recommend it to those that enjoy books on romance, different cultures or women's fiction.

Watch Diksha Basu answer questions such as what kinds of books she is reading:

Read my review of the book that Diksha is reading, The Accusation by Bandi here.

My rating:
★★★★☆

Reviews of books like this one:
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge
June by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

This book will be available on June 27, 2017 and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from Penguin's First to Read program.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...