Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda: A Review

Journalist Leah has to leave Boston due to being accused of libel and harassment of a professor.  Emmy has recently returned from a Peace Corps trip and is seeking a new home, as well, due to problems in her most recent relationship.  The two women have decided to move together to rural Pennsylvania where they can start anew.  Leah takes a job as a teacher and Emmy cleans hotels and houses until she can find something that she is more interested in doing.  At the same time that a young woman that looks eerily similar to Leah is beaten into a coma and left for dead, Leah finds that Emmy is missing.  Emmy must use her former investigative skills to help local detective, Kyle, find her friend but soon finds that what she thought she knew about her friend may not be true.

This book was okay.  There were some twists and turns but the ending was pretty predictable.  It was easy and quick to read but there was a lack of excitement to the book.  There were times when I doubted my initial instincts and was hoping for a certain outcome but it didn't work out that way.  While the characters of Emmy and Leah were interesting, it wasn't enough to make up for the lackluster story line.  I still had times when I enjoyed the book and think that it would be good for fans of suspense but realize that this is not the best suspense or thriller out there.

My rating:
★★★☆☆

Reviews of books like this one:
Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica
I See You by Clare Mackintosh
Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris 

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on GoodreadsThe kindle edition is currently $2.99.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...