Friday, October 13, 2017

The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old by Hendrik Groen: A Review

According to Hendrik Groen, "Old is in".  It seems as if he is right.  Many books and movies that have recently been released have older protagonists.  Groen's diary is very reminiscent of A Man Called Ove but Groen is likeable from the very first page.  He and a few of his fellow "inmates" have decided to start the Old-But-Not-Dead Club.  Each member of the group take turns planning an outing that helps the others experience life a little more fully.  The group begins to form a close friendship and stick together as their members encounter health problems and lack the comfort that they could receive from loved ones.

This was such a sweet book and some of the parts were more funny than any of the other books I have read this year.  When Mr. Groen is pulled over for driving his mobility scooter too fast, I just about spit out my tea!  The author has a delightful attitude even with his sad past.  Speaking of this sad past, it is not a huge part of this story.  Readers of this book will experience more ups than downs, even though the story does take place in an assisted living facility for older Dutch citizens. 

The characters are a breath of fresh air.  I liked Hendrik but I loved Evert.  Evert tells it like it is and the book is more fun for it.  I really loved reading about the relationships that were built and strengthened over the duration of the book.  This is a great book if you like reading about characters that are rarely written about.  Anyone who enjoys stories about relationships will enjoy this book.  I do wish that there had been more information on the protagonists life prior to being in the assisted living facility but I still loved this book.

View the book trailer here:


My rating:
★★★★★

Reviews of books like this one:
And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...