Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson: A Review

Leia is famous in the comic book world for creating a superhero and has just discovered that she is pregnant after an encounter with one of her fans.  One of the first people that she wants to tell is her grandmother, Birchie, but before she can do so, she discovers that Birchie is suffering from dementia.  Birchie's best friend, Wattie, has been keeping Birchie's illness a secret until Birchie has an outburst at a church function that reveals dirty town secrets.  Leia travels to Birchie's lifelong home to clean it out and find an assisted living facility for Birchie and Wattie to stay in but soon discovers that the women hold deeper secrets than Birchie's dementia.  

I love Southern Fiction and I liked this book but I did not love this book.  With the exception of Birchie and Wattie, the characters in this book really didn't seem southern.  It seemed like Leia really wanted to be southern but there was no true insight into what southern was really like.  There were a lot of assumptions made about the south that simply were not true in this point and time.  I also felt that there was too much emphasis on Leia's story when I would have rather heard more about Birchie and Wattie's story.  This wasn't a historical fiction novel where the past and the present are interwoven.  The historical parts of this book were almost an afterthought.  It felt like I was reading about Leia and her baby and Batman (Leia's baby's father) and Birchie and Wattie's story, which was so much more interesting, was rushed through.  While I enjoyed the book, I would have preferred more of the history behind the bones.  That being said, I think those who enjoy Women's Fiction will find this more to their taste.  Those looking for Historical Fiction or Southern Fiction may be somewhat disappointed.

My rating:
★★★☆☆

Watch the book trailer here:


Reviews of books like this one:
If The Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss
The Education of Dixie Dupree by Donna Everhart
The Shark Club by Ann Kidd Taylor

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on GoodreadsUntil January 31, 2018, the kindle version of this book will be $1.99 on Amazon.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...