Thursday, January 11, 2018

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman: A Review

I loved Britt-Marie but Britt-Marie Was Here was not my favorite Fredrik Backman book.  I still loved the book but I have come to expect a certain story when I read a Backman book and this one didn't hit the spot in the same way as the others did.  This book was still a wonderful book, though.

Britt-Marie has spent her life taking care of everybody and everything around her.  She has become invisible until the day that she decides to leave her cheating husband and take a job as a caretaker in the small, neglected town of Borg.  She tries to make the best of it and make her time there as orderly as possible.  She locates a container of baking soda and begins to clean.  When the children of Borg ask her to be their soccer coach, a sport of which she knows little about, she agrees and learns what it is like to be accepted and make an impact on a place and its people.

Like other stories by Backman, the cozy writing style and characters really make up this book.  Britt-Marie was such a great character.  I actually found myself wondering if the characters from this book and Backman's And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer were intertwined in some way.  Britt-Marie is so very set in her ways.  She has trouble even using a different brand of cleaner than the one she is used to.  Though she is rigid in her ways, she is still such a kind, likeable person.  The story was a very refreshing one but it could drag on a bit in some areas.  Nonetheless, I still enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Backman's wonderful writing style or an easy, cozy read.

My rating:
★★★★☆

More reviews of books like this one:
The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman 

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...