Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

"Soon she will step into her white dress.  She will smooth makeup over her clear young skin.  She will wear something borrowed and something blue.  The musicians will lift their instruments to serenade her as she slowly makes her way down the aisle, toward the only man I ever truly loved."

A woman is about to marry the man of her dreams as he is moving on from his old life with another wife.  The man she loves, Richard, cheated on his divorced wife with her and the scorned woman is so not over it.  We watch as Richard prepares to marry a new woman while the old woman desperately tries to prevent the marriage.

I had a lot of high hopes for this book.  It just did not meet my expectations.  I liked the book and enjoyed reading it but it did not live up to the hype that surrounded it.  It was held up as an intense psychological thriller but the twists and turns, while surprising, were not that exciting.  There was suspense but I found that many of my questions were left unanswered at the end.  I do want to say that this book is a good one.  Many people will enjoy it.  I think that my expectations were just built way too high for it.  There are plot twists and they are hard to anticipate.  The characters are very well written and incredibly complex.  I think fans of psychological thrillers will like this book but just be forewarned that there are some holes in the plot.  A psychological thriller about a marriage gone wrong that I enjoyed much more would have the be The Breakdown by B.A. Paris.

Watch the book trailer here:


My rating:
★★★☆☆

Reviews of similar books:
The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain
The Breakdown by B.A. Paris
What's Become of Her by Deb Caletti

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

2 comments:

  1. I have been seeing this book everywhere and it sounds fantastic. So sorry to hear that it just didn't live up to the hopes you had for it :( I might still pick it up, just because it intrigues me so much. I really enjoyed your review.

    Megan @ Ginger Mom and the Kindle Quest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should definitely read it and decide for yourself. I think it was just a personal preference.

      Delete

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...