Sunday, May 14, 2017

You Were Here by Gian Sardar: A Review

Abby is plagued with nightmares that seem to be a revelation of her grandmother's past.  She returns home to attend her high school reunion and to investigate the connections.  She reunites with a high school crush, Aiden, who is a detective investigating a string of brutal sexual assaults on young women in the area.  While Abby and her neighbors are understandably frightened by the threat of a serial rapist in their midst, she and Aiden seem to uncover a love triangle involving a neighbor of Abby's grandmother.  Could a crime involving the couple living next door to her grandmother decades ago be the reason why Abby is having nightmares?

You Were Here started out a bit slow but became more interesting as the story progressed.  Towards the middle of the book, the suspense still built slowly but the story became much more exciting and a little bit horrifying.  The end did have some twists that I didn't see coming.  The characters are fascinating.  Eva needs William so much but turns out to be much less mature than she believes herself to be.  Claire is more emotional than she is given credit for, at first.  The writing wasn't bad but it won't pull the reader along in a way that makes the reading faster and easier, either.  I really enjoyed this book and I hope that Sardar continues to write thriller fiction as I would love to read more from her in the future.  This book would be great for any reader who enjoys mysteries and thrillers.  This book would also be good for readers of women's fiction or historical fiction that want to add a bit of a mystery or thriller dynamic to the story.    

My rating:
★★★★☆

Reviews of books like this one:
Edgar and Lucy by Victor Lodato
Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel
June by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore

This book will be available on May 16, 2017 and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from Penguin's First to Read program.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...