Saturday, April 15, 2017

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris: A Review


Grace has met the perfect man in Jack Angel.  He showers her with gifts, compliments her and is affectionate towards her sister, Millie, who has Down's Syndrome.  When Jack tells Grace that he would be happy to help Grace with Millie, inviting her into his home and paying for her expensive boarding school, Grace agrees to marry him even though the couple have known each other for less than six months.  Jack buys Grace's dream house for her as a wedding present and the couple embark on their honeymoon to Thailand.  But the life that everyone sees in public is very different from the one that plays out at home and Grace soon finds herself living her worst nightmare instead of her dream.

This book floored me!  The suspense built slowly but it was so wonderfully written and had me wondering what would happen to Grace and Millie that I read this in one sitting.  This was the perfect psychological thriller and plays on the fears that we all have.  Fears that raise questions like, "How well do I really know this person?" and "Will everyone think that I'm crazy?".   Paris writes so fluidly that it was easy to finish this book quickly.  This story feels very authentic which makes it all the more frightening.  Excellently written psychological thrillers, like this one, remind us that the boogieman is not under the bed or hiding in the closet, they are already in the room.

The characters are very real and complex.  Jack, as an attorney, has fashioned himself into a defender of women, making it difficult for anyone to believe that he could ever be less than perfect.  Grace has done nothing wrong but her very rational reactions to an irrational reality make her appear mentally unstable.  I don't want to give too much away but anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers can count on this to keep you up at night.  I look forward to reading The Breakdown, which will be released in July of this year, and anything else that Paris releases.  

Reviews of books like this one:
Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel
Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...