Saturday, March 11, 2017

Ill Will by Dan Chaon: A Review

                            http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/m/9780345476043                          
Dustin's adopted brother, Rusty, was convicted of killing his parents, aunt and uncle when Dustin was just a teenager but now the Innocence Project has found evidence that has allowed for Rusty to be released.  Dustin has severe anxiety from the memories of Rusty's abuse and ritualistic sacrifices of baby bunnies but Rusty wants to make a connection with Dustin's son, anyway.  Meanwhile, college students are going missing and then days later are found drowned in nearby bodies of water with large amounts of substances in their systems.  Dustin and Aqil believe that the deaths may not be accidents but, instead, the result of similar ritualistic sacrifices that Dustin has studied as a psychotherapist.

The synopsis of this book doesn't do it justice.  This book is a magnificent thriller that I read in one sitting.  Everything that a thriller requires in order to strike horror in the heart of a reader was included in this book.  I was left wondering who, or what, killed the young men until the very end.  There were some parts where the writing was a little bit strange but it did not overpower the amount of suspense that this book built.  The story is told by several different characters and they all have a unique voice.  Dustin's account actually stops mid-sentence as he disassociates in the book.   The characters are complex and interesting to read about.  I am excited to read more from Chaon and his haunted mind!  I really enjoyed this book and the characters, I just felt a little frustrated with the, sometimes, clunky writing style.  I recommend this to any reader looking for a great mystery or thriller who is not squeamish. 

Reviews of books like this one:
Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian
Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson

More books like this one:
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Pretty Girls by Karen Slaughter

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...