Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Mothers by Brit Bennett: A Review

                          http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/m/9780399184512

I felt very connected to Brit Bennett's novel, The Mothers.  I was raised by a single father who was in the military.  Though I did not come to be the child of a single father in the same way that Nadia did, I still felt an understanding as I read the book.  This book also makes one think about abortion in different ways without the author forcing her own opinion on the reader.  This is one book that readers, especially women, should not miss.

While 17-year-old Nadia is still reeling from the death by suicide of her mother, she begins a relationship with the 21-year-old son of her pastor, Luke.  Luke wishes to keep the relationship a secret but it develops into an unintended pregnancy, nonetheless.  When Nadia informs Luke of the pregnancy and explains that she does not want the baby, Luke asks his parents to foot the bill for an abortion.  Soon after the procedure, Nadia meets newcomer to the congregation, Aubrey.  Aubrey is dealing with her own pain and issues with her mother and the pair begin a unique friendship.  When Aubrey begins to date Luke after Nadia leaves for college, the relationships begin to become murky.

The characters in this novel were complex and honest.  The pain that was felt by Nadia, Aubrey and Luke feels very real and thoughts about their pain are brought up that are not often discussed.  The writing was gorgeous.  You could tell from the writing if it was the young people who were speaking or if it was the church mothers.  Bennett has a unique ability to give each of her readers a voice and it was so refreshing.  When reading the synopsis, I was worried that this novel would be depressing.  Suicide and abortion are not topics that one likes to talk, or even think, about too often.  I didn't feel depressed while reading it, though.  Instead, I felt wisdom and integrity.  I really enjoyed reading the book and would recommend it to anyone that likes to read women's fiction. 

Reviews of books like this one:
This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
The Mother's Promise by Sally Hepworth
The Nearness of You by Amanda Eyre Ward

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...