Saturday, March 4, 2017

The River at Night by Erica Ferencik: A Review

                      http://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/cvr9781501143199/the-river-at-night-9781501143199_hr.jpg
Wini, Pia, Sandra and Rachel have been friends for years and regularly take vacations together.  Pia is always out for the next adventure and finds a remote whitewater rafting trip, so remote that the guide has only been on it himself less than a dozen times, for the foursome to visit.  Against their gut feelings of fear and trepidation, the group of friends set out on the trip.  While in the water one day, Rory, the guide, is killed by a floating log and the friends lose their gear.  They seek out help when they spot a fire burning in the woods and find that the mother and son that they wish to help them are even creepier than they seem.

The characters in this book were beautifully complex.  Simone is absolutely terrifying but I could tell there was a tenderness there once, too.  Pia pretends to be tough but she is hiding a fear of her everyday life; the job, chores and monotony of life terrify her more than any adventure that she can book.  Wini is also drained by the monotony in life but seeks companionship as a salve.

This story left me wanting more.  The suspense built slowly but it was so satisfying.  There was true horror but also enough personality and relationship to keep me interested.  This is one of the most unique psychological thrillers that I have read, with the villain being different than any other villain I have come across in a story.  The story is so unique that I am reticent to say too much about it as I don’t want to give away any of the story or the suspense that makes is so enjoyable for a reader.  It is simply a wonderful book that is great for readers of thrillers, horror and suspense.  I don’t believe that you will be disappointed when reading this and it would be great for a rainy night in!

Watch the book trailer here:

Reviews of books like this one:

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 

I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...