Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick: A Review




I actually put this book on my to-be-read list on a whim after seeing it on an end-cap in Target.  I enjoy reading memoirs from all different kinds of people as I believe memoirs give us an insight into how others experience their lives and how their thoughts and feelings compare to our own.  I have also enjoyed Anna Kendrick's work in the past and wanted to read something from her perspective.  Kendrick is a film actress (Pitch Perfect was a popular movie that she starred in) who began as a child working in Broadway plays.  Kendrick recounts how she traveled back and forth from her hometown of Maine to New York City to work and then her eventual move to Los Angeles to continue her career.  Kendrick had many years of waiting for her big break but her strong work ethic has led her to be a well-known and well-compensated actress.  As I was reading this, it struck me how self-aware Kendrick is.  She comes off as very down-to-earth and likeable.  The writing is not to be compared with highbrow literature, but it didn't need to be.  It was engaging, there were a few funny parts and it was a quick read.  This is a great book for just relaxing with light reading material.  It wasn't exiting all the way through and there were a few slow parts but most of the book was interesting for a memoir.  The book is written in essay format and doesn't necessarily follow strict chronological order but there is a pattern to it.  Kendrick was very honest and easy to relate to.  Overall, I enjoyed this book and think that others who enjoy light reading or memoirs would also enjoy it.

Watch the trailer for Kendrick's Table 19:



Reviews for books like this one:
Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
Hungry Heart: Adventures in Life, Love, and Writing by Jennifer Weiner
Disaster Falls by Stephane Gerson

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...