Sunday, February 5, 2017

Little Deaths by Emma Flint: A Review

                              undefined - Click here to close

Little Deaths by Emma Flint is a murder mystery about a young mother, Ruth Malone, who seems to me to be the loneliest person in the world.  She was abandoned by her father when he passed away, by her mother who is cold and distant and by her husband as she falls out of love with him.  All she has are her two children, Frankie Jr. and Cindy, but she feels stifled by being a mother to them.  She seeks companionship with various men and drinks heavily.  When her two children go missing and are then found dead, the police seem to be more interested in finding ways to make her the prime suspects as opposed to conducting a real investigation into who may have killed the children.  Throughout this, a reporter who is looking to make a name for himself, Pete Wonicke, becomes obsessed with the case and with Ruth.

I found this book to be sad, at times, because I felt the pain that Ruth was going through but it didn't slow this book down for me, at all.  I felt as if I could not put this book down and, indeed, stayed up long past when I would normally fall asleep to find out what really happened in the Malone household.  This book does not have the dramatic twists and turns that a lot of other mystery novels do but it does not get boring.  On the contrary, it feels more real than other novels.  This may be because the author enjoyed reading true crime fiction since she was a young girl (according to her biography).  The characters in this book were not super-developed but I didn't mind as much because it was still a very interesting book to read.  The realness that this novel portrays really makes me want to read more by this author.  I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mystery novels, women's literature and true crime books.

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...