Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams: A Review


 undefined - Click here to close


Beatriz Williams' novel The Wicked City is historical fiction that also includes a bit of crime, a bit of romance and even a bit of the supernatural.  When forensic accountant Elle discovers that her husband has been cheating on her, she moves into an apartment building with a rich past.  Through the music that can be heard through the walls, we learn that the apartment used to house a speakeasy during the time of prohibition.  Ginger is the bar's best customer.  She is originally from the Appalachian mountains in Maryland where her abusive step-father is a wealthy moon-runnner.  While she is okay with drinking the gin (also Ginger's nickname) that may have been brought into Manhattan by her step-father and his associates, she agrees to help law enforcement catch him.

The voices of the characters are completely unique.  When I read the first-person account of Ginger, I was immediately reminded of the kind of choppy speaking style that is featured in movies set during the era of prohibition.  It was interesting, and sometimes funny, to hear the interesting way in which the characters would speak to each other.  Ginger is very dynamic and free in her personality.

The story could be, at times, slow but the story was an interesting one with a little bit of everything to suit any kind of reader.  The era of prohibition as a setting was intriguing.  I enjoy historical fiction but I rarely read, or come across, novels set in that era.  I am interested in learning more about that time period.   

The Wicked City is very unique and I easily became absorbed in the story line.  Williams has a wonderful writing style and I look forward to discovering more of her novels in the future.  Even if you are not a fan of historical fiction, don't shy away from this book.  If you are interested in crime, romance or even ghost stories, I believe that you will like this book. 

This book is currently available and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 


I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...