Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen: A Review

                             undefined - Click here to close

For the most part, I prefer novels over short stories but I really enjoyed The Refugees by Viet Thanh Nguyen.  I had read Nguyen's novel, The Sympathizer, and was impressed with his writing and honesty and wanted to read other books by the author.  I'm glad that I did as I found that I actually enjoyed The Refugees more than I did The Sympathizer (though I still loved and would recommend The Sympathizer anyday).  The stories in this book are moving and emotional and they stick with you for a long time.  That is not to say that all of the stories are serious, though.  There are enough funny parts in it while still being thought-provoking.  All of the stories are about refugees from Vietnam or people that are somehow connected to Vietnam.  From the very first story, in which a young girl meets with the ghost of her deceased brother, to the last, in which a young woman meets her older half-sister whom she is named after and whom she suspects is loved more by her father than she is, the stories spoke to me.  Though the stories were short, I still felt connected to the characters.  I was truly wowed by this book and Nguyen's writing style and I look forward to reading more by this author in the future.

Watch the author on Late Night with Seth Meyers:



This book will be available on February 7, 2017 and can be purchased from Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Read more reviews on this book on Goodreads.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher in order to review it but that did not have an effect on my review of the book.  This is my honest opinion of this book.  I am a participant in the Amazon Affiliates program.  By clicking on the Amazon link and purchasing this product, I receive a small fee.  I am not associated with Goodreads or Barnes and Noble in any way and the links provided are available strictly for your convenience and not to imply a relationship of any kind. 

I do not track activity of visitors beyond that which blogger already does.  If you click on an outside link, those websites may track your activity but I do not actively share any information with third-party websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan: A Review

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed this book all that much.  I even took a step back for more than a month after I read the book to s...